Saturday, August 1, 2009

Motorcycle Trip - 09: Day 7

Day 7
Rye Patch NV - Orem UT (Home)

We were roused awake by the burning heat of the morning sun. Really, we felt like we were baking in the tent and it was only 7:30 am. It was then that we also noticed that we had really begun to stink. The sleeping bags were getting a bit off, the tent was starting to smell and I'm sure we personally didn't smell too great. Unfortunately, this was the one place that didn't have a shower so we would arrive home later that day in a rather road weary state.

We had a less than satisfying breakfast at McDonalds in Winnemucca. Not much to say about the trip between Winnemucca and Wendover. If you've ever driven it you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. We stopped in Wendover for Fuel and a Soda. We enjoyed the A/C while chatting about the scary group of bikers parked outside. They were the only rough looking group we happened upon during the entire trip. They looked pretty rough and their jackets had swastikas. It was then that John got a message from Noelle that we had an hour and a half to get his motorcycle back or he'd have to pay and extra $360 because he wouldn't be able to turn it in until Monday. We looked at our watches and realized that although we really didn't have a chance we better try anyway.

Back on I-80 doing 80 mph past the Salt Flats, the weird tree sculpture, Saltair, and nothingness. A little past Toelle I thought I saw my sleeping bag fall off. I pulled over and sure enough it had. A car pulled over and the guy told me it was about a mile back. I told John what was going on and told him to head on to see if he could make it home. I headed to the next exit, which was about 10 miles away so I could turn around. I circled back and road along looking for it but never did find it. John was told by someone that it was right near the road so our guess is that someone picked it up for me but because of the erratic driving to circle back they couldn't catch up. I still can't believe that the sleeping bag made it for 2500 miles and less than 100 miles away from home it fell off. I think the heat had let the straps stretch a little too much and adios.

Obviously we made it back alive and John got Noelle to stall the Harley shop so he was able to get there to turn the bike in. All in all it was a great trip. The most uneventful, in terms of negative things, that I've been on. Especially considering last year's trip.

Things I learned from this trip:

1) It makes a motorcycle trip much more fun when the person/people you ride with enjoy a similar speed and style of riding. Neither of us felt like we were holding the other up or getting left behind. John was great for this. After the first day, he was riding very comfortably and getting the hang of the bigness of the bike. My brother Kirk and John are both great motorcycling companions.

2) 300 miles is a nearly perfect amount to plan for a day. There are always side trips you find, or a great place that you want to hang around a little longer. But, you also feel like to put some distance behind you for the day; that you're actually getting somewhere.

3) Camping is Awesome on a motorcycle trip! From here on out I will camp as much as possible on these trips. The nights in hotels are nice, but it feels much more appropriate to sleep in tent on a motorcycle trip.

4) Nevada could disappear into a giant sink hole and I wouldn't mind at all. Not only are central and northern Nevada really boring but I don't even like Las Vegas. It's as if Vegas is trying to make up for the boredom of the rest of the state on one single street in one single city. It's way too much and when I leave I always feel like I need to be dipped in some sort of anti-bacterial solution to be fully cleansed of the place.

5) Redwoods are as cool as I though they would be and they have a weird spongy bark that pulls off if John tries to climb them. Evolution has protected them from fire and John.

6) Although I don't like listening to music most of the time while riding motorcycles, pack the ipod for trips through Nevada (see #4).

7) I know it sounds weird but I get a very good vibe from Pine forests. It feels like I should be dwelling among them, which is probably why Deer Park, WA seems like such a great place to move to, lots of pines. I really enjoyed riding through the forests along the northern California Coast.

8) Wild Animals want to kill, or at least harm motorcyclists.

9) It is better to be hot than cold on a motorcycle. I'll take 100 degree Hwy 50 any day over 35 degree canyon roads, at least for long days in the saddle.

10) Motorcycle trips need to be at least 5 days, and 7 days is pretty much perfect. Plenty of time to get out and see stuff. The rest of my trips have always been 4 days, extended weekends, and I always felt like I was ending a day or two to soon on those trips. It was really nice to keep going for a few more days this time around.

I'm thinking Colorado for next year's trip, any takers?





No comments: